Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Why We Love Our Neighbors And Other Titles For Yesterday

- I am Superwoman And Can Push This Riding Lawnmower Out Of This Ditch.

- How To Add Gas To The Mower Without Dropping The Gas Cap In A Pile Of Fire Ants

- How To Make A Roasting Pan Double As A Casserole Dish When One Realizes They Underestimated The Size Of The Pyrex.

- Officer, I Am Really Sorry A Chunk Of Your Fence Got Caught In My Mower. (The neighbor happens to be a Sheriff's Deputy)

- How I Killed The Women's Lib Movement In One Simple Act Of Helping The Husband With The Mowing.

- I Got The Two Hour Ironing Down To One and A Half Hours. (The Pleats Will Not Win!)

- Don't Forget The Height Setting Of The Mower Or You May Just End Up With A Lawn That Closely Resembles A Marine Corps Recruit Hair Cut.

Contrary to the titles above I had a great and productive day yesterday. I managed to do all of my errands and visit with Kiera all before noon. Once I got home I was feeling a bit antsy and thought I would help Shawn by mowing the lawn. We are a bit behind since TS Fay came through since in order to effectively use the riding mower the lawn must be sort of dry we had to wait for the ground to sort of dry out. Once we were ready to go it started to rain again and things got postponed again. Yesterday I decided in true Missy fashion that I could totally do this myself. I got the mower out and set the blade to the highest setting for the first pass. My father taught me that when mowing the lawn each pass should overlap to ensure equal cutting. Since our lawn was a bit long I decided to go long first as to not choke the mower. The problem came when I tried to remember Shawn's setting for the regular cutting. I chose one a bit too short. When Aubs saw it she said "Wow, the lawn is short. At least you can wait longer to cut it again because it will take longer to grow back." During the course of the cutting I got the mower stuck in the ditch. I guess I did not allow the ground to dry enough. I had to push/pull it out myself. I could have gone to the lovely neighbor and asked for help but I was determined. I managed to get the mower out of the ditch and continue on my way only to grab a stray board from the neighbors fence. I did go to his door at that point. He got a good chuckle out of the situation and said that most of our side of the fence was a bit loose from the rain/storms. I only got stuck one more time and was able to fix it without a problem. I then decided to cook dinner. I am trying to cook enough food that I can get a few lunches out of the meal. I cooked two boxes of pasta last night and realized they would not fit in my casserole dish. I had to use the roasting pan. Anyone want some baked spaghetti?

No comments: