Monday, December 10, 2007

Finding Joy In The Absurdity Of It All.


Christmas in Florida is a very odd time. Gwenn this post is really for you as you are about to enjoy your first tropical holiday. My air conditioning in the car is out and since it has been 80+ everyday I had take it in. I went after work to check on my car and they said that it would be tomorrow before it was ready. The lovely people at Central Florida Chrysler Jeep Dodge comped a rental for the night. My car is well past warranty so this was really above and beyond. The rental car company that has a desk at the dealership was very low on cars and had to give me a bit older model than they would usually hand out. I however managed to make do as it is a convertable. I had never driven one before and decided to put the top down on my way home since it was still 77. While driving with the top down, listening to Christmas Carols, and noticing a sign for the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party I started to laugh out loud. This got me thinking of the lengths we go to in Florida to create Christmas Cheer when many of us feel we need the snow.

- Close the blinds and turn up the AC while cooking winter favorites.
- Attempting to hang ornaments and lights on palm trees. (This is harder than one would think)
- Getting sunburned while hanging icicles on the outside of the house.
- Trucking in tons of ice and shaving it to resemble snow.
- Creating snow out of soap. Snoap lasts a bit longer than the ice so the kids can play a little longer and it is very slippery. Aubrey however is not amused and yells bubbles!
- Telling everyone that it can too snow at 32 even if you are fully aware that the only moisture in the air is what is sucked out of your hair.
- Burning Pine and Snow Angels candles so that if you concentrate hard enough you can almost feel the cold.
- Keeping a pair of shorts and a tank top next to the bed so that when at 3 AM you realize it is too hot for flannel jammies you can easily change.
- Wearing scarves over t-shirts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was almost as good as the list for hurricane survival.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Every word of that is true! We are going to be taking the kids to the local park where they have a HUGE Christmas display - Including a HUGe Sata sending out a Shocka...That is a Hang Loose sign if you didn't know. I am definately having a hard time relizing that it is reall Christmas...I think iof my family were here it would be a bit easier though. I'm sure you feel and have felt the same way. I do understand though that it is time for to make our own traditions. This will take time I know. Anyway, Thanks for thinking of me Miss! :)