Tuesday, October 03, 2006

An anniversary of sorts.

According to TJ at work I am now an official Floridian. I have lived here for eight years (minus a six week hiatus). I thought to mark this date I would list some of the very interesting things that have happened since moving to this wonderful state.

1. The 2000 elections. That was fun let me tell you. I realized I lived in the state that was now the laughing stock of the entire country and possibly the world.
2. Three hurricanes in six weeks. The first was an adventure and according to everyone I know we wouldn't get another for at least 20 years. Boy, were they wrong.
3. Key Lime Pie was named the state pie. This may seem like a great thing, however Key Limes are no longer grown in Florida (see #2, this fun fact courtesy of Jamie and Bobby Deen)
4. Three and a half more theme parks were added to our landscape. Apparently the first 6 1/2 weren't enough of a draw for the tourists. Cypress Gardens is the 1/2, it didn't start off as a thrill type park but closed and reopened with coasters.

I have a lot to learn as a Floridian but here is what I know:
Orange Groves smell fantastic, too bad they are all being replaced by houses. Aunt Robin is fantastic at making the scent even more realistic.
Red ants are not cute. They call them fire for a reason.
Gator does not taste like chicken but is pretty tasty.
A returning space shuttle has it's own very special sound effects.
A night time shuttle launch is hands down the coolest thing I have ever seen, if all goes well I will have some pictures of one to post in December.
Soap bubbles can be made to look like snow but the 90 degree heat kind of ruins the effect.
You haven't lived until you have gone gator spotting in a speed boat. By lived I mean felt you heart nearly jump out of your mouth when you notice that there is nothing between you and the gator and these ones do not have their mouths taped shut.

In two weeks I will attend my first beachside/Island wedding. Then I will really feel like a true Florida girl.

1 comment:

Charissa said...

Wow. Now I'm jealous b/c Florida sounds fun. Baltimore characteristics would 1) I've seen a drug deal, 2) I've seen rats the size of my dog, or 3) WAIT, I've seen the USS Constellation... a famous tall ship with lots of history although I can't remember it right now. Hmpf.