Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Library Lessons Learned

1. Make sure the book is in English. Our local library has a large Spanish section. While I think this is a great idea, I think the people sorting the books need to pay better attention to where they shelf these books. I wanted Aubrey to get the book Olivia. I grabbed it off the shelf and put it in the library bag. Last night I was watching television when Shawn came out and asked if I had ever read the book. I answered "Yes", he replied "This book" and handed it to me. I opened the front cover and sure enough it was in Spanish.

2. Read through the books before putting them in the bag or do not make fun of Joshua for picking the "Dead Mommy" book. This is really more of a lesson that involves many jokes between Joshua and I. There is a bad habit of every time I make fun of Joshua for something silly that he has done it comes back around. Another example of this is the $10 cherries. Well I did it again, except that I picked the "Dead Grandma" book. I picked a book by Tommy DePaola called Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs. I knew he has some very good award winning children's books that is what I thought about when I chose one of his books. It is about a Great Grandmother and a Grandmother dying. If I had known this I never ever would have picked this book. Aubrey is very sensitive to death since Poppy passed away. It took a little over an hour to get her relaxed and to sleep.

We will be going back to the Library this weekend. I will be much more conscious of what we put in the bag.

No comments: