Saturday, February 02, 2008

Nearly 12 Years Too Late.

When I was in college a lot of the friends I made while working at SeaWorld kept talking about this great musical they had seen. One of the guys loved it so much he even went and auditioned. I then pretty much forgot about it and moved to Florida, far away from my musically inclined friends and with only one theater that can handle a Broadway sized show.
Fast forward to 2005 and Rent became a feature film. I had really wanted to see it in the theater but since Aubs has been born my movie going time is usually spent watching shows of the animated variety. I missed the theatrical run as well. When the DVD came out in the spring of 2006 I picked up a copy and didn't watch it because I didn't read the label correctly and got full screen. Not usually a problem but all of the televisions in our house are widescreen. Oops.
So now I have had this DVD for two years and it was still in the wrapper. I decided that while flying to and from Ohio I should catch up on some movie watching. I was hooked. Only then did I read the articles letting the world know that Rent was about to end a 12 year Broadway run. I have been plotting a way to get to NYC before the end. I know that just isn't practical but it doesn't hurt to dream.
I was telling my coworker about my dilemma and she suggested either flying up on a Wednesday, catching the matinee, and flying back home that night or checking out the tour schedule. As fun as I thought it would be to take a day trip to NYC the better solution presented itself when I noticed that the tour is coming to Sarasota and Clearwater. YAY. I just made it.

2 comments:

Charissa said...

Hmmm... I have to admit that I saw Rent - and I didn't like it. Not at all. Glad you are getting to see a show you love, though. :)

Anonymous said...

You've JUST discovered Rent???? I'm a little disappointed, haha. (And if you like the movie, you'll LOVE the stage version, it's a million times better.)

:) Love you!