Charissa does Flashback Fridays on her blog so I thought I would give it a try. I meant to scan in the picture and post it today but I forgot (the failed part). I will still talk about the memory though because the place and the memories are so vivid I don't really need the pictures. The summer I turned sixteen two friends talked me into going to Lakeside Institute with them. I had no idea how that place would change my families lives. I was a bit skeptical at first but my father told me he used to go to Lakeside on retreats and it was a great place. My first summer there included all the baggage of a girl who had just turned sixteen. The year before going had seen my first real experience with death, my first real boyfriend, and my first break-up. Not to mention drivers license drama. Down with maneuverability! Ohio's way of torturing teens and ensuring that a whole state grows up not learning how to parallel park.
When we got Lakeside I was in Unit 9, which coincidentaly was the unit I stayed in during my last year. The very first non-Stow person I met was Kari. She was also in Unit 9 and in my small group Chunky Monkey. The theme that year was Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, to this day Chunky Monkey is one of my favorites. Kari taught me that you can sneak into the hotel and buy a cup of hazelnut coffee also still a fave. I could go on and on about my first week there but the reason I bring this up was I was the first Morgan to go. I was the only Morgan there my first year. This year I am the only Morgan not there. Tomorrow the Morgan clan and in-laws (current and hopefully future) pack up the cars and head for Lakeside. I am so proud that my family is so involved in this Ministry that made such and impact on my life. It amazes me that my mom, dad, sister, brother, and brother-in-law can and will make a profound difference in the campers lives. I hope one day I can be back there with them but for now I will sit and reflect on my weeks at Institute with a smile on my face. Have a waffle cone of Moose Tracks for me.
P.S. If one of the girls who convinced me to go should read this THANK YOU. Your encouragement to join you and your siblings changed my life.
1 comment:
Ok I may not be the one who invited you, but I was a chunky monkey with you. Yes the sneak into the hotel for hazelnut coffee was fun, and the coffee was excellent. Those were the best mornings, on the pier with just you, coffee, your bible and the lord. Sneaking out to see the sun rise at the pier was wonderful too.
I can't wait till my kids are a little older and I can once again go back to lakeside. The scary thing is that in 4 yrs my oldest will be able to go!!
Post a Comment