Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Godspeed Discovery


There are many catchy sayings in the few hours before and after the launches. I would have to say that Godspeed ___________ (fill in name of shuttle or important astronaut) is my favorite. Today they are saying "Third time is the Charm". After four days of waiting the space shuttle Discovery has launched. I am fascinated by the launches even if I am 50 or so miles away from the launch pad. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. I remember where I was for both the Challenger and the Columbia accidents. I even remember the girl who told me about the Challenger. I remember trying to convince my father that I needed to go to Florida for a school project every time there was a launch. My first launch was amazing. I had been in Florida for about two weeks when it went and I was there.
The Return to Space launch last year was amazing. My neighbors and I stood in the street and cried. Today's launch was the first ever on July 4th. It was beautiful as always. I hope that as I see the launches that are not a first to me I can still appreciate them.
God be with the crew of Discovery. Bring them home safe yet changed by the amazing journey they have had.

2 comments:

Charissa said...

We watched the NASA channel for awhile after the liftoff (I missed the real time event). So glad it went off without any problems... I'm just not ready for something like that ever again.

Very jealous that you got to see it. :)

Missy B said...

When the shuttle comes home it is much less peaceful. It is accompanied by two sonic booms. I really wish someone had warned me about that one. The first time it happened I thought the house was falling down. :0)