Monday, June 05, 2006

Back in O-town



We have returned from Beantown. What a wonderful weekend. I got to see my mom's side of the family. They are spread out around the country so it usually takes a milestone event of some sort to get us all together. Aunt Kim, AnneMarie, Aubrey, and I spent Friday on Newbury Street. Boston is a beautiful city. I think that Aubs was a bit disappointed that it was not a city of jelly beans.
I caught my first glimpse of Fenway Park. The smaller picture above. I wasn't exactly close but it was still neat to see. I had forgotten what it is like to be in a city that supports the local teams whole heartedly. We are void of that here in Central Florida. I have to admit that maybe Joshua is on to something being a Red Sox fan. I think I was bitten by the Red Sox Nation bug. I found an incredibly funny shirt that says "Green Monstah". I thought it the appropriate souvie for me as my first comment when getting off the plane was "I was one of five people on board who pronounced their R's". Aubrey has been a Sox fan for about two summers. During the hurricanes Joshua and Craig taught her to say "GO RED SOX". Imagine Grandpa Tom's surprise when instead of saying "Go Tribe" she instead cheered on the Sox. I hope on my next trip northward to catch a game at Fenway. Nothing beats a live baseball game.
I was also amazed at the mix of old and new that makes up Boston. It is such a beautiful and welcoming city. Even in the icky weather it was fun. Maybe not the guy in the Audi who was yelling at Aunt Kim but all the other people were quite friendly.
The graduation was great. It was fun to see how Jesse, Sam, Jake, and AnneMarie have grown. It was even funnier to watch Jesse with his new toy acting just like a kid at Christmas.

No comments: